Ink experiments

I’ve had a set of acrylic inks sitting around since I was at Art Center. They were from one of my early classes, probably in the first three semesters, and I think at the time when I got them, I had basically no idea what the heck I was doing with them.  I remember I probably used them too think and treated them more like actual acrylics rather than ink… Which of course does not have to be super opaque, though I’m pretty sure that’s something I trend towards with traditional media in general — The times I’ve used gouache, I haven’t thinned it out at all really, even if it maybe would be more appropriate to do so.  Still wish that I’d been able to take one of the courses that were actually gouache-based but that’s another medium for another set of experimentation later on, not now.  As it is, this was my random medium of choice for the moment, so onward to art!

Alizentha : Isvarnii Ink Wash

Anyway, here’s the first image I did.

I only kind of remembered how to work with these inks, so unsurprisingly, much could be improved.  I also didn’t have a character in mind that I was depicting… More just some random just because I needed something other than a blank page to paint.

Final pass through it I grabbed my colored pencils and added a bit of detail, cleaned things up and the like to put a bit of a finish on it.  It was a good learning experience.

Next pass I went through and actually picked a character, Arla, and I think overall it was a much more successful image.  I experimented a bit more with laying in a solid color across the whole thing first to unify it — which I kind of did at the end of the previous image, so I just did so in a more logical fashion.

Alizentha : Arla

 

I’m really hoping to go and work more with the inks in the future, I have some ideas for what I want to do, just gotta get a little bit of time set aside to do so.  No problem!

I still want to know what Darzanth was going to be — I think I wonder this every time I categorize something as a personal project.  I guess at some point I’ll have to either find my notes or make something up to take that name.

Initial Development for Cradle

One of my upcoming project ideas is currently titled Cradle.  It started off as one of those ideas where some totally off-the-wall concept turned out to be something that sounded like a great idea. When I have a bit more solidly defined information ready to present on it, I’ll post again and reveal more about it, but for now I can’t go and get anyone’s hopes up, can I?

Cradle may end up being a comic, once I staple down an exact plot for an issue/chapter/book/whatever.   I think it definitely has a lot of potential to be presented in that way, at least.  Anyway!  You really want to see the art, right?  Well have a few sketches and a preview of a to-be-edited image set which should be showing up in its final form in not too long I hope.

And unrelated, as I was categorizing this, I still have no idea what Darzanth was supposed to be… It’s listed under personal projects, but apparently I have totally blanked on what story it actually belonged to — could have been an old version of part of what has now become Cradle, but I’m not sure.  I still kind of like the name, though.

The Turaco Rider

There was this big green bird that hopped a lot in the pet store in the town my parents lived in.  Turns out, that bird was a turaco.  They’re pretty neat birds, so you should totally read about them.  For this, I picked the red-crested turaco, because it wasn’t too extravagantly colored, but wasn’t just the basic green bird I had seen in the pet store.

Most of the development for this piece was spent just working on the Turaco itself. The stylization was proving to be somewhat of a problem at first — there were so many potential ways to do it.

Though I could have likely pushed it more, once I decided I had enough potential variations, I went through and started the composition.

Mice or rats seemed to be a fairly logical choice for a rider just because of  their size.  Somewhere between the two would be the right steed-to-rider ratio.  Combining them with the turaco drawings I did, I was able to figure out just how much I did want to stylize them, and went forward from there.

There were a few fun influences in this one, I think.  Take a little bit of Final Fantasy‘s chocobos, combine with Bill Peet’s Cowardly Clyde, and a splash of Brian Jacques’s Redwall.  All things considered, I’m pretty happy with the result, considering it was a goofy, random idea.

Daily Deviation & the Turaco Rider

So early this morning/late last night I was given a Daily Deviation on deviantArt!  Put that on the “stuff I wasn’t expecting to happen” list.  You can swing by and see the page here.

It’s been good fun watching the numbers in my inbox rise — I always enjoy watching the views, favorites, and similar on those sites just to see what the community likes.  Besides, then I can compete with myself and see if I can make something that gets even more attention than whatever the previous piece was.  Even if the general public doesn’t understand why the piece was developed the way it was, it at least appeals on some aspect, and as long as it’s not just being faved because of cute fluffy animals (ie, some of my bird doodles) it means enough people were curious to see what the full image entailed — and liked it!  A little ego boost every now and again is a good thing.

Anyway, I’m sure you’d rather see the piece, so have a peek.  I’ll be posting some of the development work and some further edits later on, but here it is as it stands.